My my My my

 Frequently Asked Questions


How do I get involved in traveling baseball?
Registration is on-line via the BTBA web site's registration tab. Registration will begin January 1st each year. There is a registration fee for this process. Simply fill out the registration and look for the tryout dates typically in March. The evaluation process is held to place kids at a level they will be most successful.
How much money does traveling baseball cost?
The current registration fee is $455, which includes all regular season and playoff field costs, umpires, team equipment, and four in-season tournament fees (typically one home and three away).  Players must provide their own helmets, gloves, bats, and related gear.  All players must also purchase a uniform package which ranges from $90 to $140 depending on player needs.  There may be additional team-specific costs for things like indoor practice cages, hat embroidery, additional tournament registrations, state tournaments for qualifying teams, or other team events.
What is the length of the season?
Tryouts typically occur in late March with first practices beginning in early April. The regular season typically starts the last week of April with games continuing through June.  Playoffs and state tournaments can run through the end of July for qualifying teams.  There are around 16 regular season league games split between home and away which are typically scheduled on weekday evenings, Monday through Thursdays.  Some practices or games may be scheduled over the weekend, but those are typically reserved for tournament play.  Players can also participate in a Fall Ball season starting in August which helps prepare players for the following season.
How many weekends are involved?
Each team is registered for four State qualifying tournaments occurring on weekends in May and June. Based on results of these four tournaments, teams may qualify for one or more of the three different State tournaments held on weekends in July. Teams may also earn at large bids to one or more of these State tournaments.
Our family has a cabin. Is it OK to join travel baseball and have our son participate only
in those tournaments that work out for our family?
Teams rely on each player to field a team for games and hold effective practices. Players are expected to attend all practices, scrimmages, regular season games and tournament games unless absence is excused for injury, illness, school, etc. Trips to the cabin or other in season vacations are not excused absences unless there are extenuating circumstances (i.e. grandparents' 50th anniversary or a family wedding).
Where do they play?
The fields we use differ by age and are listed on the BTBA website. One half of the regular season games will be played on these fields.  All home games are played at Kent Hrbek fields for the 9-13 year olds. (Some 13 year old tournament games may be held at Kelly Fields.) The 14-16 year olds play their home games at Dred Scott fields.
Who can coach?
BTBA rely's on volunteers to coach most of our teams. Any adult willing to volunteer their time may volunteer to coach 10U - 14U. Coaches are selected based on kid placement and candidates are needed at all levels. BTBA conducts background checks of all candidates by verifying criminal history.  BTBA has used paid coaches for the 13U and 14U AAA level when available.
Is BTBA all volunteers?
Bloomington Travel Baseball is a on-profit organization.  The board and coaches are all volunteers with the exception of paid coaches at the 13U and 14U AAA level.  Some BTBA positions outside of the board are for-pay depending on the work requirements.  Please contact the board president if you have questions about how to get involved with our organization.
Can I request that my child play with his friend?
No, friend requests cannot be met as team selection is based solely on tryouts. Parents may only request that their child not be considered for the AAA level by providing a written request to the BTBA president at least 24 hours prior to tryouts for consideration.  

Equipment and Uniforms

Is a special uniform required?
Yes. We require the players to purchase the uniforms supplied by BTBA.  The uniform is part of the program cost.  Each year you will receive a new jersey, pants, belt, socks and hat.  Additional pants and socks are available for an additional fee.  Batting helmets are also required and not provided through BTBA.  Catcher's equipement is provided for each team, but players are encouraged to use their own catchers gear as well when available.  
Does BTBA provide bats?
No.  Each player will be required to supply their own bat.  Bats must meet requirements supplied by the Metro Baseball League (www.mbl.bz).  See below for guidelines on bat specifications.
How do I measure bats and what is a minus 9?
Bats come in different barrel sizes and are measured in length and weight. The difference between the length and weight is the differential. A 29 inch bat that weighs 20 ounces is a minus 9. A 30 inch bat that weighs 20 ounces is a minus 10. A regulation stating that the bats must be minus 9 or less means that the differential must be 9 or less. A 29/20 and a 30/21 are both minus 9 while a 30/22 is a minus 8 and is less than 9 and so is also acceptable under the minus 9 rule. A 30/20 is a minus 10 which is greater than 9 and is not allowed if the restriction is minus 9 or less. Please note that 10 year olds may only use 2 ¼” barrel bats. There is no differential limitation but the bat may not exceed 36” in length.
What are the barrel sizes of bats?
Barrel size is the bat diameter measured at its widest point. Barrel sizes are 2 ¼”, 2 3/8”, 2 1/2”, 2 5/8”, and 2 ¾”. For all bats except 2 ¼” there are length/weight differential
requirements that vary by age level. Bat size rules may be found on the Metro Baseball
League (www.mbl.bz) under the rules for each age level.